13 July 1836: The American missionary Lorenzo Warriner Pease travelled to the villages near Larnaca, the small hamlet of Aplanta, the village known as Ayia Photini, hence Anaphotia and Anglisides known for its special white type of olives.
“We rode to a village near here. Aplanta, Anaphotia, Anglisides (latter are two). Anaphotia has a windmill in ruins near, and a town within it of the time of the Venetians, probably. It is built of small stones, not like those of the Crusader’s times. We saw great quantities of gypsum and calcareous limestone, such as the people used for floors etc. They are threshing their grain in all the villages, which will occupy them much longer yet.”
Photo: Syndesmos Anaphotias
The ‘History Today’ series is made possible with the support of OPAP (Cyprus).