23 March 1838: Lorenzo Warriner Pease was examining the shores of Larnaca.
“Walked out this morning and observed that the gravel extends inward from the seashore about 300 paces, that in many places it is considerably higher (say three or four feet) than the surface of the lake near Larnaca and the plain (once a marsh), that the plain seems to have been filled up by the alluvial soil brought from the hills and is composed of a light blue soil (clay). It extends along the shore towards Cittium, as well as to the north, some distance. In 1820 the population was estimated by Mr. Connor, at 40.000 greeks, 14.000 Turks, 500 Maronites, 40 Greek monasteries, 300 monks, 2 catholic convents, 6 Fathers, one Maronite monastery, 23 monks.”
The ‘History Today’ series is made possible with the support of OPAP (Cyprus).