19 May 1683

Cornelis van Bruyn had embarked on 15 May in a little vessel laden with salt for Antalya. On this morning he saw…

Lumisso or Lymsol, a village with a small fort. The ruined walls of the ancient city are still visible. All around it are many mines, chiefly of copper. Formerly many vessels came to fetch it, and the island was called the Island of copper. But the Turks will not allow the mines to be worked. Near this place, which is well situated among trees at the edge of a plain, is produced the best wine in the island, and abundance of capers. We intended to land some goods in a boat, and to go on without dropping anchor, but when we learned that there were seven corsairs at Baffa we anchored.